If you’re one of the millions of men with thinning hair, that same old haircut that’s always worked for you may not be right for you anymore. Instead, ask your barber for one of these five haircuts for men with thinning hair. The right hairstyle will actually make your hair look thicker, and will also make you feel more confident. Keep reading to learn the best haircuts for men with thinning hair, and how to style thin hair.
The 5 Best Haircuts for Men with Thinning Hair
If you prefer longer hair, keeping your hair messy will distract the eye and help hair to look fuller. Ask your barber for a haircut that’s short on the sides and long on the top with plenty of layers.
To style, start by washing hair with Viviscal Man Full Force Fortifying Shampoo, then tip your head upside down and rough blow dry for added volume. Use a small amount of hair paste to tousle hair and define the layers.
The Slick Back
This slicked-back look is another style option for men with thin hair who prefer a little more length. It works especially great for men with thinning at the crown.
Ask your barber for a haircut that’s short and tight on the sides and long on top. To style, blow dry hair at the roots for lift, then comb back with a pomade. For any scalp show-through at the crown, apply a spritz of Toppik™ Hair Building Fibers (see more on Toppik Fibers below).
The Part & Comb
This hairstyle is a great option for men with receding hairlines who still have plenty of hair on top. Ask your barber for a cut that’s tight on the sides and blends into a longer top.
To style, begin by rough blow drying for added volume at the roots. Then apply pomade or wax to hair and part at the peak of the temple with a comb.
A buzzcut is a classic and simple haircut for men with thinning hair that’s become a lot trendier lately.
Ask your barber for a buzz of one half inch or shorter. Since buzzed hair is so short, areas of thinness will blend easily into fuller areas. This hairstyle is ultra low-maintenance, since all you have to do is wash it. With the right equipment, you can even do your own buzz cut at home!
The Finger Length
Think of the finger-length cut as a grown-out version of the buzz. Ask your barber for a cut that’s finger-length or shorter all the way around.
Style hair with a dime-size amount of hair wax, being careful to angle the lengths over receding or thinning areas. Fill in any areas of scalp show-through with Toppik Fibers.
Styling Tips for Men with Thinning Hair
- Keep it short – In general, shorter hair looks better on men with thinning hair. Short hair has more natural volume, which makes hair appear thicker.
- Wash hair daily – The key to styling thin hair is to maximize volume at the roots. However, your scalp’s natural oils tend to weigh hair down. Keep hair voluminous by washing it daily using a gentle shampoo like Viviscal Man Full Force Fortifying Shampoo. Plus, Viviscal Man Shampoo contains a proprietary active complex that makes hair look thicker and fuller.
- Take a supplement – Thinning hair is often caused by a vitamin or mineral deficiency. Prevent early signs of thinning hair by covering your nutritional bases with Viviscal Man hair supplement. Viviscal Man contains a blend of vitamins and minerals that promote existing hair growth and reduce thinning.*
- Use a blow dryer – Blow dryers are amazing for creating volume in thin hair because the heat of the blow dryer opens the cuticles of the hair shaft, and making hair look thicker. Use a blow dryer with adjustable settings, since thinning hair doesn’t require a lot of heat to dry. Any temperature above a medium heat setting will dry out your hair and make it brittle.
- Try hair fibers – Toppik Hair Building Fibers is the best way to instantly conceal thinning hair. Simply shake fibers onto areas of thinning and tap into place for fuller looking hair in an instant.
How do you cut your hair? Let us know in the comments!