Summer can be a tough time for styling thin hair, since soaring temperatures and high humidity levels have a tendency to make fine hair fall flat. That’s why we recommend styling your hair in an easy updo for the summer months! Whether you have a summer wedding or a night on the town, these easy updos for thin hair are guaranteed to help you look your best.
The Best Updos for Thin Hair
1. Messy Topknot
This casual updo is perfect for creating a pulled-together look in seconds flat. We especially love this look for days when we don’t have time to wash our hair.
To create your topknot, flip your head upside down and gather all your hair at the crown. Twist and secure hair in place, then gently spread apart pieces of hair to create the appearance of more volume.
2. High Ponytail
Fine hair usually means a lifeless ponytail, but that doesn’t have to be the case! To give your pony some lift, use two hair ties instead of one, or add two bobby pins in the shape of an X at the base of your ponytail. Add extra volume to your ponytail by separating it into three sections and gently teasing with a comb.
3. Oversized Bun
Add extra oomph to your everyday bun by using a mesh donut in the same color as your hair. Gently tease hair at the crown, then flip head upside and secure hair with a ponytail holder. Roll the mesh donut to the base of your ponytail, then arrange hair to cover the donut and pin it into place.
4. Loose Chignon with Deep Side Part
Changing up your part is a great way to add extra volume to fine hair. Plus, face-framing tendrils help to create the illusion of more hair.
Curl hair with a large-barrel curling iron and spritz with a light hold hairspray. Then, beginning with the front section, twist hair towards the back of the head, adding small sections of hair as you go. Pin hair into place, then repeat with the other side. Gather hair in the back and pin into a low, loose bun.
5. Low, Sleek Ponytail
This high-fashion look is great for fine hair because the sleek style actually looks better with less volume.
Create a straight center part, then brush hair back into a low, tight ponytail and secure with a hair tie. Smooth flyaways with a lightweight hair gel.
6. Half Up, Half Down
This is a beautiful, easy style looks great on those with long, fine hair. Simply pin the top pieces of hair at the back of the head, then use a curling iron to add romantic waves.
Tips for Styling Fine Hair
- Lay the base for a more volumized look by applying Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying Elixir to wet or dry hair. Viviscal Elixir adds lightweight body to fine and thin hair. Plus, it’s formulated with botanicals that promote healthier-looking hair.
- For more volume, rough blow-dry damp hair upside down. Finish with a blast of cold air to seal cuticles and add shine to hair.
- Before styling your updo, use a large-barrel curling iron to add texture to fine hair.
- Do hair pins fall out of your fine hair? Here’s an insider tip: spritz bobby pins with hairspray for a more lasting hold.
- Before adding hairspray to your finished style, use Toppik™ Hair Building Fibers, a celebrity hairstylist secret for perfecting red carpet updos because they add instant volume to thin or fine hair. Toppik Fibers have a static charge that clings them to even the tiniest hairs to build thickness that looks natural. For precise application, use with the Toppik Spray Applicator, and finish with Toppik FiberHold Spray for added staying power and shine. This will keep your updo looking thick and full all night long.
Will you rock an easy updo for fine hair this summer? Let us know in the comments!