Is your ponytail lacking oomph? Believe it or not, you don’t need a thick mane of hair to have a voluminous ponytail. All you need are a few simple tricks to pump up the volume. Keep reading for our top tips and tricks for getting a high volume ponytail!
7 Ways to Get a High Volume Ponytail
1. Backcomb for Volume at the Crown
Backcombing is an easy way to take a ponytail from boring to bewitching. This voluminous ponytail looks polished, but is actually super easy to style. Here’s how to do it:
- Start by washing your hair with Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying Shampoo and Conditioner. This cleansing duo works together to leave hair looking naturally thicker and fuller by nourishing hair with Ana:Tel™ complex plus the key nutrients Biotin, Keratin and Zinc.
- Apply a small amount of Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying Elixir throughout your hair and comb to evenly distribute. This leave-in treatment boosts your hair’s body, adding even more oomph to your voluminous ponytail.
- Roughly blow-dry your hair using your fingers.
- Separate the top portion of your hair and gently backcomb from the crown to create additional volume and height.
- Once backcombed, gather all of your hair, and pull it back into a ponytail. Secure the ponytail with a bungee hair tie to avoid pulling on the volume created at the crown.
- Take a few random sections of hair in the ponytail and wrap around a curling iron for three to five seconds to curl. Then brush through the curls for the perfect voluminous ponytail.
2. Try a “Phonytail”
A phonytail is a ponytail inside of a ponytail, which creates the overall appearance of more volume. Start by making a small ponytail at your crown, using only the back section of your hair. Then brush your remaining hair into another ponytail surrounding the first and secure with an additional hair tie.
3. Add Bobby Pins
Carefully placed bobby pins can add a little height to your ponytail. After securing hair with a hair tie, place two or more bobby pins vertically through the hair tie. This will “prop up” your ponytail, giving it more volume.
4. The Butterfly Effect
All you need for this voluminous ponytail trick is a butterfly clip. First, pull your hair into a high ponytail and secure with a hair tie. Then lift up the top section of your ponytail and place the butterfly clip on the bottom section. The top section of hair will rest on the clip, creating the illusion of a voluminous high ponytail.
5. Double Up on Hair Ties
This trick for a high volume ponytail really couldn’t be easier! Next time you put your hair in a ponytail, just use two hair ties instead of one. The extra hair tie will prop up your pony, giving you some extra volume right where you want it.
6. …Or Double Up on Ponytails
You can also create the look of an extra-volume ponytail by making two ponytails. Separate your hair into two sections to create two ponytails, one on top of the other. The top ponytail will cover the bottom ponytail, creating the illusion of a longer, thicker ponytail.
7. Add Dry Shampoo for Texture
If you are looking for a high textured ponytail, try this. After securing your hair in a high ponytail, add a misting of dry shampoo to your ponytail. Then gently tease with a comb.
Do you have any tips for styling a high volume ponytail? Share them in the comment section below!