Shaggy hairstyles are back in a big way, and not just for 20-somethings. We love shag haircuts for older women because they have a modern vibe and they amp up the volume for fine or thinning hair. Keep reading to learn more about the best shaggy hairstyles for fine hair over 50!
What is a Shag Haircut for Fine Hair?
A shag is a layered hairstyle with textured ends, usually with a fringe. The hairstylist uses a razor to cut away heavy bulk from the ends, which gives this hairstyle its sexy, voluminous look. As opposed to the 70s shag, the modern shag is more layered in the back than in the front, which creates a flattering frame for the face.
A shag haircut for fine hair is completely customizable. The shag can be dramatic or subtle, short or long – whichever you prefer!
Hint: Shag haircuts for older women work best on hair that has some wave or curl to it. If you have straight hair, a blunt bob or lob may be more flattering for your tresses.
Why We Love Shaggy Hairstyles for Fine Hair Over 50
- Shag haircuts for fine hair are the perfect antidote to flat, lifeless hair. Shaggy layers remove extra weight from hair, giving fine hair more texture and volume.
- A shag hairstyle also pushes more hair to the front, framing your face and making fine hair appear thicker and fuller.
- Shag hairstyles also embrace your hair’s natural texture, which means less damaging heat styling for your tresses. That’s good news for anyone with fine hair who can’t afford to lose any locks to breakage!
- Shag hairstyles are low-maintenance and easy to style. Keep reading to learn our top tips on styling a shaggy hairstyle for fine hair.
How to Style a Shaggy Hairstyle for Fine Hair
Step One: Start by washing hair with Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Shampoo and Conditioner. This duo works together to gently cleanse and lightly condition hair with Ana:TelTM complex plus the key nutrients biotin, keratin, and zinc to leave hair looking naturally thicker and fuller.
Step Two: Apply Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying Elixir throughout damp hair. This lightweight body-boosting treatment helps create thicker-looking hair.
Step Three: Use your fingers to gently twist sections of hair to promote body and waves.
Step Four: Leave hair to air dry, or blow-dry on a low setting with a diffuser (make sure to apply a heat protectant first!).
Step Five: Once hair is completely dry, use your fingers to gently tousle the shaggy hairstyle and then set with hairspray for all-day volume.
3 More Secrets for Thicker-Looking Hair
Besides opting for a shag haircut, we have a few more tips for making fine hair look thicker.
- Try a hair supplement. Viviscal Hair Growth† Supplements provide a clinically proven solution for women suffering from fine or thinning hair to achieve thicker, fuller, and healthier hair in 3–6 months*. The secret? The combination of AminoMarTM plus key vitamins and minerals in Viviscal is scientifically proven to nourish thinning hair and promote existing hair growth*. In clinical studies, women saw a 32% increase in the number of terminal hairs and a nearly 40% decrease in hair shedding in just 3 months+.
- Use dry shampoo on your roots. Not only does dry shampoo absorb excess oil from your scalp, but it also can help to create texture and volume at the roots for overall thicker-looking hair.
- Change your part. Something as simple as switching up your part can help you create the appearance of fuller hair. No additional products are required!
Would you try a shag haircut for fine hair? Let us know in the comment section below!
† Existing hair growth
+Ablon, G.; Dermatol Res Pract., 2015