Experimenting with vintage hairstyles is a great way to change up your look without altering your hair color or cutting your hair. Whether you’re looking for a hairstyle to complete a vintage costume, or you just want to try something a little different for your next event — we have you covered!
How to DIY Our Favorite Vintage Hairstyles
Pin curls are the quintessential classic pin-up hairstyle. This ’50s hairstyling technique is a great way to add long-lasting curls to any hair type – even pin-straight hair! And since there’s absolutely no heat involved, pin curls won’t damage your hair.
- This type of vintage hairstyle works best with clean hair, so start by washing hair with Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying Shampoo and Conditioner. Towel dry hair. Comb a pea-size amount of Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying Elixir through hair.
- Using a rat tail comb, separate a 1-square-inch section of hair. Make a loop around your finger with the ends of the hair. Then roll the hair towards your scalp, being extra careful to keep the ends tucked into the curl.
- Use two bobby pins to pin the curl at the scalp in an “X” shape. Repeat with the rest of your hair.
- Let the curls sit for several hours until hair is completely dry, or wrap your hair in a headscarf and sleep in the pins overnight.
- When your hair is dry, take out all of the pins and brush through hair using a boar-bristle brush. Use your fingers to help shape the curls into the shape of your choice.
- After the curls are brushed out, spritz with hairspray.
French Girl Half Updo
This ’60s hairstyle is inspired by those worn by actresses in French films. We love this retro hairstyle because it looks just as cute in 2018 as it did in in the ’60s!
This hairstyle works best the day after you wash your hair, so that the hair has a little extra texture. If you’re starting with clean hair, spritz your roots with dry shampoo to add extra grip.
- Start by teasing the crown section of your hair. Then use a brush to smooth the top layer of the teased section.
- Pull the top section of your hair into a half ponytail and secure with a hair tie.
- To finish the look, pull out some face-framing pieces then use hairspray for hold.
Pairing this retro hairstyle with winged cateye eyeliner is totally optional, but definitely recommended!
Old Hollywood Waves
This ’40s and ’50s hairstyle features glamorous, sweeping waves that are perfect for formal events and date nights.
- Start by combing Viviscal Densifying Elixir through damp hair for extra shine, body and light hold.
- Blow dry hair in sections, pointing the hair dryer nozzle down towards your ends to minimize frizz.
- Once hair is dry, create a deep side part with a rat tail comb.
- Using a curling iron, curl hair in 1-inch sections towards the face. Try to keep the sections consistent sizes for the best results. As you release each curl from the curling iron, catch it in your hand and pin it to your head. Allow the pinned section to cool in the curl shape before releasing to ensure longer-lasting curls.
- After hair is cool, remove the hair pins and brush through the curls using a boar bristle brush. The curls will merge together, forming that gorgeous wave pattern. Use a small amount of Viviscal Elixir to smooth any frizz. Then finish with hairspray.
Heat-Free Tip: If you don’t want to use heat on your hair, you can also achieve this look by using pin curls. Just make the pin curls larger than usual for softer waves, and pin all the curls going in the same direction.
This ’40s hairstyle is another classic pin-up hairstyle. To style at home, follow the directions above for creating Old Hollywood Waves. Then follow these steps…
- Use a rat tail comb to create a triangular section of hair from the top of your ear up to your part.
- Use a teasing comb to tease the back of the section. Then set it with hairspray.
- Smooth the top layer with a brush, then create a large curl (just like a pin curl).
- Use pins that match your hair color to hold the curl in place.
- Repeat on the other side. Finish the look with hairspray and you’re finished!
Whichever vintage hairstyle you choose, healthy, shiny hair makes every hairstyle look better. That’s why we recommend taking Viviscal Hair Growth† Supplements twice a day to promote strong, healthy hair.*
Have you ever tried a vintage hairstyle? Let us know in the comments!
†Existing hair growth