We all want to know how to make hair shiny, right? After all, shiny hair is healthy hair. But if your locks having been lacking their usual luster lately, you may be suffering from a case of dull hair.
Dull hair is typically dry or damaged hair that’s lost its healthy, natural shine. If this sounds like you, it may be time to change the way you care for your hair. Keep reading for our top damaged hair treatments to transform dull hair into shiny, healthy, silky hair.
How to Make Hair Shiny & Fix Dull Hair
Shiny Hair Starts From Within
The health of your hair is related to the overall health of your body, so it’s imperative to keep your body (and your hair follicles) nourished with a balanced diet. Foods that encourage the growth of healthy, shiny hair include chicken, eggs, avocado, green leafy vegetables, lentils, citrus fruits, and nuts.
Or take Viviscal Hair Growth† Supplements. Viviscal is specially formulated with the necessary nutrients to encourage the regular growth† of thick, healthy hair.*
Over time, sebum (natural scalp oils) and styling products form a buildup on hair. This residue attracts dust and dirt, making hair appear dull and limp.
Luckily, you can easily remove dulling residue with something you probably already have in your kitchen cupboard: apple cider vinegar. Just mix equal parts water with apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle. Then spray hair to saturation after shampooing. Allow mixture to stay on hair for several minutes, and then rinse out with cold water.
The apple cider vinegar will gently remove product buildup and residue, leaving hair shiny and silky.
Add an Elixir
Dull hair is often very damaged hair, and prone to thinness. Give your locks a boost of body by styling with Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying Elixir. This leave-in serum treatment is formulated with phytonutrient-rich Ana:Tel™ complex, which makes hair thicker and fuller looking. Comb 2-3 pumps of Elixir through dry or damp hair and then style as usual for gorgeous, thick-looking hair.
Make Your Own Damaged Hair Treatment
You can also add moisture back into dry or damaged hair with one delicious ingredient: avocado! Avocado is rich in hair-healthy fats and proteins so it can help replenish damaged hair with much-needed nutrients.
Just mash up or purée half of a ripe avocado and apply to damp, shampooed hair. Allow to sit for 15 minutes, then rinse out with cold water. Let your locks air dry, and enjoy your soft, silky hair!
Remember, healthy hair is shiny hair, so follow these tips to minimize damage and keep hair looking as healthy (and shiny) as possible:
- Rinse hair with water before swimming in chlorinated pools.
- Defend hair against UV damage by wearing a hat or a leave-in conditioner that contains sunscreen protection.
- Install a shower filter if you have hard water, which usually has more mineral deposits that can build up and dull your hair.
- Wash your hair 3-4 times per week to prevent a buildup of dust and oils that can make hair look dull.
- Use a gentle shampoo and conditioner like Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying Shampoo and Conditioner to cleanse and moisturize the hair and scalp without drying it out.
- After conditioning, finish by rinsing hair with cold water, which seals the cuticle to help protect hair strands from damage.
- Brush hair with a natural boar-bristle brush to help evenly distribute your hair’s natural oils through the hair, keeping it shiny and moisturized.
- Use a heat protectant spray to defend hair against the damaging effects of heat-styling tools like hair dryers, curling irons, and straighteners. Or better yet, skip the heat tools altogether and embrace your natural hair texture!
- Swap your cotton pillowcase for a silk or satin one. Cotton fibers cause friction that is rough on hair, leaving strands dried out.
Remember, healthy hair starts from within. Even with great hair care techniques, you won’t have truly healthy-looking hair unless you’re getting adequate nutrition. Viviscal Supplements are scientifically formulated with AminoMar™, biotin, iron, and vitamin C to make sure your hair follicles are getting the right nutrients for healthy hair growth.*†
†Existing hair growth